Au pair in the USA - Can I apply?

Playmate, homework tutor, cook, fairytale teller, big sister, chauffeur, substitute parent, singer, football coach, comforter, first aid helper, alarm pairing in the USA combines all of these roles and many more! Most important of all is that you possess a genuine affection for children. This simple requirement is the most essential for creating an unforgettable and unique au pair year.


To successfully become an au pair in the USA you should...

  • Be between 18 and 26 years of age, unmarried and childless (J1 visa regulations)
  • Have practical experience looking after children, through private babysitting, i.e. friends' children, neighbours, colleagues, etc and / or through volunteering or work placements in nurseries, creches, camps, primary schools, girls scouts, orphanages, etc.
  • Be able to provide at least 2 different references with an overall total of approx. 200 hours within the last 3 years *
  • Have a valid driving license (watch AuPairCare's 'Driving in the USA' tutorial for handy tips!)
  • Have finished secondary education (GCSEs / Higher Education, Leaving Certificate, etc.)
  • Be healthy and a non-smoker
  • Be open-minded, flexible, responsible and committed
  • Be interested in the United States and American culture

You can find a host family even faster if you:

  • Have practical experience with children under 2 years of age and are willing to care for them in the USA
  • Can provide proof that you have cared for 0-2 year old children for at least 200 hours.

*Please note while experience with your nieces, nephews and cousins counts as a further (third and fourth) reference, the first two references must be with children not related to you