Au Pair in Australia - Programme Requirements
Are you ready for an adventure in Australia? Apply now by filling out a pre-application form.
Aside from your enthusiasm for children, you should...
- hold a valid passport from an eligible country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia (visa requirement)
- be between 18 and 30 years old (visa requirement)
- be female
- be unmarried and childless (visa requirement)
- have 200 hours practical experience looking after children not related to you
- have a valid driving license in order to obtain an international driving license
- not have previously received a Working Holiday visa for Australia
- be healthy and a non-smoker
- be open-minded, flexible and responsible
- be able to laugh!
You can find a host family even faster if you:
- have practical experience with children under 2 years of age and are willing to care for them as an au pair
- are willing to stay at least 9 months with your host family
- are able to start the programme in the winter season
Childcare and References
Host families are very interested in your childcare experience, and they pay close attention to your references when comparing applications from various potential au pairs. It is recommendable for you to have a broad range of experience caring for children because it helps you to maintain a realistic perspective of the au pair job. Most likely your host children will be absolutely delightful, but we also know that childcare can be a bit strenuous at times. Some days you might be in charge of the children for 10 hours at a time, and on those days your past practical experience will be of huge help!
You should have gained a total of 200 hours of practical childcare experience. You can obtain these references in a variety of ways, i.e. through babysitting; internships in pre-schools, nurseries or in a paediatric centre; as a camp counsellor, leader of girls scouts team or from after-school tutoring. We are more than happy to talk with you about your potential references and to give you further tips regarding where and how you can gain experience.